How to apply Feast Watson Prooftint Traditional Stain:
Let's get started! Follow these steps on how to apply wood stain:
For staining small (or detailed) areas:
- Using a brush or cloth, apply Prooftint evenly over the desired area.
- Go make yourself a cup of tea and wait 2-5 minutes for the stain to penetrate the surface. Wipe off an excess with a clean, soft cloth.
- Ensure the edges of adjoining sections are carefully blended together by evenly wiping the overlap area.
- Once your area is dry, make sure you seal it with Feast Watson Floorseal Oil, Clear Varnish, Weatherproof Pro, or Scandinavian Oil. The clear topcoat ensures lasting protection and fully develops the final colour - the most important step!
For staining large areas (including floors)
- Dilute Prooftint with Prooftint Colour Reducer to allow more time to evenly distribute the stain and achieve a uniform appearance.
- 1 Part Prooftint mixed with 1 part Prooftint Colour Reducer will result in approximately half the strength of colour.
- Darker colours: add more Prooftint to the mix.
- Lighter Colours: Dilute Prooftint further with Prooftint Colour Reducer.
- Using Tung Oil: add up to 10% Prooftint directly to the oil and use this mixture to stain the timber.
- Let’s do it! Using a brush or Feast Watson Floor Finish Applicator and lambswool sock, apply the mixture. Make sure your application is evenly distributed - we want that even finish!
- TIP: To get that professional finish (without the professionals), cut around the edges and corners with a narrow brush as you go, as opposed to cutting in the whole area first. Avoid lap marks and double build by beginning at one edge and following through to a natural break such as a door, window or corner.
- Stain the floors 2-3 boards at a time, moving the full length of the board.
- Go make yourself a coffee and allow the stain to penetrate the surface for 2-5 minutes.
- After you’ve had your coffee, wipe off the excess with a clean, soft cloth. Don’t forget about the edges of adjoining sections either!
- All done? Amazing! Now to seal with Feast Watson Floorseal Oil, Floorproof Pro or Floorclear after the floor is dry. This will preserve the stain and provide durability for high wear areas.
One Step Stain & Varnish Method
- Add up to 10% of Prooftint to Feast Watson Clear Varnish or Liming White (Oil Based).
- Apply the varnish stain by brush and allow to dry.
- Do not wipe off excess.